Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tuesday's Thoughts

While wondering when was the last time the Yankees had a .500 record at the All-Star break, here is what's on my mind this morning:

Well, for the second year in a row I will watch the All-Star Game to see the final one for a Yankee great. Last year's game was highlighted by Mariano Rivera's entrance on the field as both teams remained in their dugouts allowing the capacity crowd at Citi Field to give the greatest closer of all time a fitting tribute. It will be interesting to see how AL Manager John Farrell will give Derek Jeter his moment in the sun. Mind you prior to last year, I hadn't watched an all-star game since 1997 when interleague play began.

Kudos to NY Daily News Reporter Bill Madden for calling out Yankee General Manager Brian Cashman and Mark Newman,Vice President of Player Development. If you are a Yankee fan check it out:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/madden-yankees-gm-brian-cashman-show-moves-article-1.1864362

Must admit I never thought Lebron would go back to Cleveland to play for the Cavaliers. Good for Cleveland fans.

I like what Phil Jackson is doing with the Knicks and I think Derek Fisher is the right man for the job. Re-signing Carmelo Anthony with a contract that gives them flexibility in 2015 will go a long way to bring the Knicks into championship contention. That being said, I agree with Derek Fisher that the Knicks will make the playoffs this year.

Many in the New York media are comparing Shane Greene to Aaron Small. If memory serves me correctly, I don't recall Small throwing 92mph to 96mph fastballs. I could be wrong but I think Greene may be someone who will be in the starting rotation next year for the Yankees. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The Chicago Cubs will be a playoff contender next year. No, I haven't hit the Dewars' bottle this morning. Take a look at their farm system and their prospects. GM Theo Epstein is doing it right.

I'm already sick of hearing about the Buffalo Bills training camp and it doesn't start until July 21st.

Can't remember a time when I could careless about the NFL season being right around the corner.

And finally, I am quite pleased with the Maple Leafs promoting Marlies Head Coach Steve Spott and hiring former Florida Panthers Head Coach Peter Horachek to be Randy Carlyle's assistant coaches. Both men bring a different vision to the coaching staff and Carlyle will be under the gun if the team does not perform. The team's success will rise and fall on Carlyle's ability to accept the new direction that seems to be getting set by Brendan Shanahan as evidenced by his comments that its time to give the youngsters in the farm system opportunities to play for the Leafs. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment